Thank you for visiting the Save-Our-Space Hui Site.
The purpose of this site is to disseminate information about Starwood Capital Group's proposed resort expansion, commonly known as Glamorous Camping "glamping
", on the Makai Woods Golf Course links 1 thru 3, located within the beautiful community of Princeville, Kauai HI.
Members of the S-O-S Hui are AGAINST this proposed “glamping” development.
The latest news & website updates (NEW 06/13)
- Read the 6/13 email that requests Princeville residents send an email to the PHCA BoD asking them to oppose Starwood Capital’s Resort Expansion/Glamping on all of Princeville's Open Space. A template to send is also available to make the process very simple. The BoD meets on Wed. 6/16, so we are asking members to submit their emails by Tue. 6/15.
- Read The Garden Island article by Sabrina Bodon on the Starwood Capital presentation by Jason Cruce at the Makai Golf Club held 6/10/21.
- A BIG MAHALO TO ALL WHO ATTENDED (~50), STOOD OUTSIDE (~50) AND THE OVER 200 WHO ZOOM'D IN TO HEAR JASON CRUCE PRESENT STARWOOD CAPITAL'S PLANS FOR PRINCEVILLE. We will write up a summary over the next few days and email it to those on our mailing list. If you aren't already on our list, you can join by clicking the Contact Us link on each page.
- View our email discussing the issues we have found with Starwood Capital's May 1st response to PHCA's original 12/17/20 proposal by PHCA President, Sam George.
And, remember to attend SCG's presentation at the Makai Golf Club on Thurs. 6/10, 3-5pm and make your voice heard.
NOTE: There is an UPDATE to this email which talks about Zoom attendance to the meeting.
- Bill 2822, which will stop glamping if signed into law, is item #1 on the Planning Commission's 7/13/21 agenda.
View the Planning Commission's website.
Further details will be made available on how you can contribute testimony at the hearing.
Please contact us if you would like to submit comments or testimonials opposing resort expansion/“glamping” in Princeville and its environs, be added to our email list (over 300 now) or have other questions concerning our mission.
Who is Starwood Capital Group, East West Partners & others?
Princeville at Hanalei Community Association. The Princeville homeowners association responsible for the overall operation of the Princeville Phase I community.
Sunset Drive Community Association. An association of 26 homeowners directly adjacent to the proposed Glamping development located within Princeville.
Glamping - "Glamorous Camping".
The hospitality industry's developing of destination locations for higher profit margins and lower investment costs.
Their sales pitch is that you can stay in the outdoors (camping), while having your sheets turned down each night (glamorous).
Example Glamping destinations
shows you what one would normally expect for Glamping in the outdoors, not in the middle of a Princeville residential neighborhood.
The Starwood Capital subsidiary that we understand will own the proposed Glamping site.
SH Hotels & Resorts
Starwood Capital's hotel management company which will manage the 1Hotel and Glamping facilities.
2/4/21 - Arash Azarbarzin
Named Chief Executive Officer At SH Hotels & Resorts.
East West Partners
Project development corporation located in Colorado responsible for building out the 1Hotel and the proposed Glamping development.
Mark Hall - Construction Manager (Kauai) - MHall@ewpartners.com
Will Little - Managing Director (CO/Kauai)
Eff. Jan'21, no longer on project
Makai 27 Hole Golf Course.
View full-size image.
Proposed site for the “glamping” development (Makai Woods holes 1-3).
"Design representations are conceptual and for the purposes of planning approvals only and subject to alteration prior to submission. This document was prepared by Starwood Capital Group/East West Partners. Information contained herein does not represent the opinion of the PHCA and is intended for informational purposes only." - East West Partners (12/9/20)
Image edited by site administrator to highlight key HOA's.
View full-size image